For my knitting & crocheting friends and family...
Here's how to make them for your next "Knit Night":
You will need:
- bamboo skewers
- wooden furniture buttons
- wood glue
- Cut skewers down to about 7" (from pointed end)
- Using wood glue, glue furniture button to top (not pointed) end
- Allow to dry
To Decorate Cupcakes
- Insert your knitting needle skewers so they criss-cross through the top of undecorated cupcake
- Outfit a pastry bag with a medium sized writing tip
- To make the frosting look varigated - smear/smudge gel frosting color on one side of the inside of the pastry bag, then fill with uncolored frosting. The frosting will pick-up the color as it passes through the bag. (you might have to squirt some out until you start to see the color)
- To decorate, layer strings of frosting to look like a yarn ball. I started in the middle and made a straight line across, then made a curved line on the outside edges following the contour of the cupcake. Next I split the difference between the edge and the middle with a slightly curved line, then I filled-in in between, layering the strings of frosting until the cupcake was covered.
Hint: hold your frosting tip above the cupcake a 1/2" or so and let the frosting fall on the cupcake.